Preparation time 10 min
Time for the chia seeds to soak 20 min
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 handful strawberry*
- 100 ml coconut water*
- 5 ts soy yogurt (or regular yogurt)
- 2 ts chia seeds
When I was a child I used to spend few weeks of the summer vacation at my grandparents who lived in a village in the very eastern part of the Balkan mountains. This is the place where I spent very happy times in my childhood and always had a lot of fun with my cousins. My grandmother was growing so many vegetables and fruits in the garden...she had a lot do and we were somehow taking care of ourselves, cooking some simple dishes and eating fruits and vegetables straight from the garden! The first of us kids who wake up in the morning was running to the garden and picking and eating all the ripe strawberries 🙂 .
Now I am all grown up and live far away from my grandma's garden but where I live now there are strawberry fields. I can get there pick my strawberries and weight and pay at the end. I really love this concept which seems to be very popular here in Germany. I see many families with children going there and the kids seem to have a lot of fun 🙂 . Exactly like we were having fun in my grandma's garden back then.
Nowadays I still prefer to eat the strawberries fresh and even though I do some strawberry jam I really try to eat a lot when they are fresh and in season and are so sweet and aromatic. This smoothie is not just delicious and makes you full for at least an hour but it is also super healthy. The strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C and fibers. The chia seeds are rich in iron and magnesium. This recipe is vegan-friendly if you use soy yogurt as I did.
So in just 30 minutes, you will have your vitamin injection. Let's start!
1. Mix the coconut water with the chia seeds in a cup and let soak for 20 min in the fridge.
2. In the meantime peel the banana and put it in the blender or in a blending jug if you are using hand blender. Add the strawberries and the soy yogurt. Blend thoroughly until smooth.The mixture should be very thick but will change when we add the chia seeds.
3. Take the chia seeds out of the fridge. It should have thickened and the coconut water will have a consistency like gel. Add the chia in the blender.
4. Blend again until smooth.
Enjoy right away!